Dienstag, 1. April 2008

From Djibouti to Sanaa (Yemen)


I've spend quite a boring week in Djibouti city and it's surroundings. I didn't really make contacts with the nomads living there, but I visited almost every single police station of this small state. When I asked them for the reason of their interrogations I only received stupid answers like "Il n'y a pas de probleme" or "C'est pour votre securite". For the first time in my life I also had to give my fingerprints.

The reason I stayed so long was that I had to wait for the ship to Yemen. There is no regular passenger ferry, only cargo ships waiting for goods from Ethiopia. The goods of my ship had been cows. There are no regular schedules and it's not easy to find out, when a ship will leave. When I entered the ship I also found out that I paid 40 euros too much for the ship and could have gone by airplane for the same price. Anyway, even if the airplane was really cheaper I had prefered the ship to cross through the legendary bab el mandeb (gate of lamentation). The ship was quite small with some 15 passengers, 5 crew members and about 100 ethiopian cows, a very familial sentiment.

I entered yemenese soil at Mukha and then went straight to Sanaa, after spending the night in Taiz. Yemen has awsome opportunities for mountain trekking tours, but first i'll discover the not much known island of Socotra in the Indian Ocean. It's closer to the somali coast, but belongs to Yemen. For this destination it is hard to avoid the airplane and I fortunately found a flight for tomorrow. I'm sure I'll have a great time there, I'm just worried about the huge flesh wound on my right hand that still is not cured. It's a memory from the too low ventilator in my room in a "habash" restaurant in djibouti, where i could stay for free, but had to share it with some locusts and cockroachs.

Keine Kommentare: